Thursday, June 21, 2012

So Excited for Zucchini!!!!

The zucchini in my garden are flowering right now! I am trying to be patient, but I am so excited I need to try this recipe with my home-grown zucchini. I can't wait.

Zucchini Fritters with Feta
 

1 lb zucchini, grated
1/2 tsp salt
1 shallot, thinly sliced
1 garlic clove, minced
6 small shiitake mushrooms, chopped 
2 eggs
1tbsp chopped fresh mint
150g feta, crumbled
5 tbsp homemade bread crumbs, I like to use a pepper bread or pepper crackers for this
freshly grated black pepper
salt
olive oil for frying

Put the grated zucchini in a colander, sprinkle with salt, mix and let stand for 20-30 minutes. Squeeze out any excess liquid, this makes them crispier in the end. You can however squeeze the water out right away and start the process, it just may not turn out as good, either way though its mouthwatering! 
 
In a medium bowl, combine the zucchini, mushroom, shallot, garlic, eggs, mint, feta and freshly toasted and crushed pepper bread. Season with salt and pepper.

Heat the oil in a pan over a medium heat. Form patties to your liking, and put into the pan. Cook for 3-4 minutes on each side. Transfer cooked patties on a paper towel to drain excess oil from them.

No comments:

Post a Comment